22 March 2011

Spicy Tuna


The other night, I was in the mood for sushi.  Shocker, I know, since I am always in the mood for sushi.  But I didn't really feel like going out for dinner (plus I still haven't found good cheap sushi around here).  So I decided to try out a spin on a recipe I saw in last month's Fitness magazine.  The article was about healthier versions of popular take-out dishes.  One of the feature recipes was their take on a spicy tuna roll.  


The reason spicy tuna rolls made their "naughty list" was because of the white rice and mayo typically found in the rolls.  This version skipped the rice and used a low fat mayo.  Technically, this wasn't sushi or sashimi, as the tuna was seared, but it certainly filled the same flavor profile and satisfied my sushi craving.  And it was quick, easy, and healthy.  



I added a little steamed brown rice on the side for the whole grains and to round out the meal.  The original recipe also had a side dish of ginger-orange snap peas.  I appreciated having the crunchy veggie fix that I have come to miss so much when eating sushi since I developed my soy allergy.  What could be better than that?

A side note about my soy allergy.  Fortunately, I am not incredibly sensitive to soy sauce.  I can have small amounts, for example, in dishes like this where the soy is just in the marinade and not much of the soy ends up in the final dish.  If you have a more sensitive allergy, be careful with this.


I feel like I should also mention that I normally shy away from making "take out fake out" type of recipes.  Usually, they are a sad replacement for the original and make me want the take out dish even more.  But this dish wasn't trying to be healthier homemade sushi.  They simply took the same flavor profile and made it in a different way, and I really appreciated that.


One thing that is important with this recipe is to have your mise-en-place ready before you start cooking.  "Mise-en-place" is French for "things in place," and in cooking, simply means having everything measured and chopped and ready to go before you start cooking.  This recipe will move really quickly once you start, and I want you to be ready when it does.


Spicy Tuna
adapted from Fitness Magazine
serves 2
2 6-oz tuna steaks
2 T honey
2 T low sodium soy sauce
1 t rice vinegar (I substituted red wine vinegar here since thats what I had on hand)
~ 1 t sriracha, divided
2 T light mayo
1/4 c orange juice
1/4 t cornstarch
2 t minced ginger, divided (about 1/2-inch piece)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 lb snap peas
1/4 c panko bread crumbs (I didn't have these, so I used crushed rice krispies)
1 T canola oil

Combine the honey, soy sauce, vinegar, 1 t ginger, and 1/2 t sriracha.  Add the tuna and let marinate for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway through that time.  In a small bowl, mix together the mayo and remaining sriracha, to taste.  I used 6-8 drops, not sure how much that measured out to be.  In another bowl, combine the orange juice, corn starch, garlic, and remaining ginger.  

Heat a pan over medium high heat.  Add canola oil to the pan.  Remove tuna from marinade and coat both sides in the bread crumbs.  Add to the skillet.  Cook tuna for 2-3 minutes on each side for medium-rare.  Remove tuna and let rest.  Add orange juice mixture and snap peas to the pan.  Cook 1-2 minutes until juice thickens to a glaze.  Serve the tuna with the snap peas and spicy mayo dipping sauce.

1 comment:

  1. This is the BEST tuna I have ever eaten - and it will appear on my table again! I measured the sriracha not trusing myself with counting drops. I used Panko since I had it (don't know that it made that much difference though). I did put together all the sauces before I started cooking and it went really smoothly and quickly. YUM

    ReplyDelete