02 June 2011

CSA is Finally Here!


I got the first delivery of my first CSA last night, and I couldn't be more excited! 

For those of you unfamiliar with this type of program, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture.  Basically, you buy a share in a local farm, then every week or two you get a basket of goodies from the farm.  Given their recent surge in popularity, there all sorts of options out there.  Some programs require you to do some amount of work on the farm.  Some programs deliver while others make you pick up your goodies at the farm.  Some even let you go online ahead of time and choose what types of veggies you want that week.

The CSA I joined (A Country Affair Farm in Williamsburg, VA) gives me enough produce for 2-3 people each week, and I pick it up at a restaurant near my apartment.  I don't get to pick what I get each week, but I don't have to do any work up at the farm.



So here's what I got this week:
- NC peaches!
- summer squash
- beets
- pickling cucumbers
- itty bitty new potatoes
- green leaf lettuce
- green onions
- corn
- butter beans (I just found out that butter beans = lima beans, eew!)
- locally made garlic knots (Richmond, VA)

I'm looking forward to figuring out how to cook some of these veggies.  Check back in the next week to see what I've figured out to do with all this fantastic fresh produce!

No comments:

Post a Comment