30 January 2011

Avocado and Grapefruit Salsa


Every week (most weeks, anyway) I plan out a menu and a grocery list.  But it never fails, when I get to the grocery store I find something that wasn't on my list but that I want anyway.  Sometimes this is something small, a snack or a sweet, but sometimes the result is inspiration for a meal.


Today's dinner was the result of such an inspiration.  I know its not summer yet, and I don't expect my favorite foods to be in the grocery stores.  But Fresh Market had blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, peaches AND grapefruit all on sale.  I didn't know what to do with myself!  The summer fruits made me want to eat something summery.  And how can you not be inspired by something so pretty?

I recently saw a recipe for this salsa, featuring avocado and grapefruits, two of my favorite foods.  Although the recipe was supposed to be served with pulled pork sandwiches, but I thought it would be great with something southwestern.  So I served it with skirt steak, which I dusted lightly with chili powder, salt, and pepper.  To cook skirt steak, I simply sear it for about a minute or a minute and a half on both sides.  Then let it rest for at least 5 minutes and slice against the grain.  Its easy and only takes like 10 minutes.  I'll probably eat this with some leftover pulled pork to see how the flavors work.  But this post isn't about skirt steak or pulled pork, its about grapefruit!



Grapefruit and Avocado Salsa
adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine
1 grapefruit, segmented*
1 lime, segmented*
1 avocado, diced
1 c diced onion
1/2 jalapeno

Chop the jalapeno finely, mix with the onion, avocado and citrus fruits.  Season with salt and pepper, and toss lightly.  Serve wherever you would use salsa.

* To segment a citrus fruit, cut the ends off.  Stand the fruit on one of the now flat ends.  Use a paring knife to cut the skin and pith off the fruit.  Run the paring knife between the fruit and the membranes to release each segment.  Its best to do this over the bowl you are putting the fruit in, so the bowl catches all the juice.

The flavors in this complimented spicy food well, possibly because I have engrained in my mind that there is nothing better than lime+avocado+spicy food.  The pieces of lime were a little too big, so I would probably cut them in half next time.  I might also add more grapefruit.  I used the leftovers as a condiment on pulled pork tacos (leftover pulled pork and this salsa wrapped up in a flour tortilla) and that was also delicious.  I could really see this being used anywhere you might use salsa or guac (I didn't try eating this plain with chips, but I'm sure it would be delicious).

Also, this doesn't keep very long - 2 or 3 days in the fridge at the most.  Any longer than that and the avocado starts to break down and gives this whole dish a funny texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment