07 February 2011

Roasted Potato Salad


Sorry I haven't posted for a while. I was busy with school at the beginning of the week, then I had to come down to Raleigh for the end of the week.  My trusty camera was back in VA, so the pictures aren't awesome (they are both from my phone, in fact).  But I did 2 things this weekend I thought were worth sharing:

Jonathan and I went on a tour of Aviator Brewery this weekend.  The brewery is out in Fuquay-Varina, NC, about 35 min from his house in Raleigh.  The brewery was started by an ex-Air Force pilot and was originally in an airplane hanger.  It has since moved to a different location, but they had this hanging in the new brewery, which I thought was awesome.  If you can't tell, its a pair of old airplane wings!


Also, we had a DELICIOUS winter beer: the Frost Nipper Winter Ale, which we grabbed a growler of to have during the Super Bowl.  And that brings me to the real reason for this post... Super Bowl food!  I made a potato salad for the Super Bowl party we hosted.  It is vinaigrette-based, so it will be prefect for warmer weather activities: tailgating, picnics, barbeque.

Roasted Potato Salad
finally, by popular demand, an original recipe!
serves 6
1.5-lb potatoes (fingerlings, new potatoes, yukon golds)
2 T olive oil
1 to 2 ears of corn (depending on the size)
2 eggs
4 green onions
4-5 springs thyme
small handful parsley
small handful basil
2 T dijon mustard
1 T lemon juice
2 T red wine vinegar
1 T honey
~ 1/3c olive oil

Preheat oven to 425-degrees.

Chop potatoes so they are about 1-inch cubes.  This really doesn't have to be precise.  Toss with 2 T olive oil, salt and pepper until all potato pieces are coated.  I just toss this all together in a mixing bowl, then give it a quick rinse and use it to assemble the salad.  Pour potatoes onto a cookie sheet, and spread into a single layer.  Put potatoes in the oven and roast for about 30-45 minutes, until the potatoes are browned on top.

While the potatoes are cooking, boil the 2 eggs.  I let my yolks stay just a little bit soft because I really don't like hard chalky yolks, but you can cooks yours as hard as you like.  Let eggs cool, dice, and toss in a medium mixing bowl.

Cut the corn off the cob and add to the eggs.  Slice green onions into 1/4-inch slices and add to corn and eggs.  Finely chop the herbs and add them as well.  Season with salt and pepper, toss, and set aside.

In a second bowl, whisk together the honey, vinegar, lemon juice, and mustard.  Season with salt and pepper.  While whisking, slowly add olive oil until the dressing emulsifies.  I used around 1/4-cup but you might need a little more or less.  This will be an acidic dressing, but the oil on the potatoes will balance it out in the final salad.

When potatoes are done, scoop them into the bowl with the eggs, corn, onion, and herbs.  Lightly toss together.  Pour on enough dressing to coat all the potatoes.  The potatoes will soak up the dressing, so you don't want to use too much dressing.  I add the dressing in a couple of batches, tossing between each, then judging how much more I need to add.  Note that I don't always use all the dressing!

No comments:

Post a Comment