13 July 2011

Roast Beet Salad


A couple weeks ago, I got beets in my CSA basket.  I've always thought beets were really pretty - they have super vibrant colors (red, yellow, orange, pink) and the insides have an almost swirly pattern when you cut them open.  But I've only even eaten beets once, let alone cooked them.  The one time I've eaten beets, they were served with warm goat cheese, candied walnuts, and honey.  

I wasn't a huge fan of the beets in that dish (they were boiled), but I know that roasting deepens the flavor and caramelizes the sugar in a lot of semi-sweet vegetables (carrots, tomatoes, etc).  So I decided to roast my beets to see if I liked them a little better.  I've heard of roast beet salads from several cool chefs, so I figure what better to do with my roast beets?  And, I ended up really liking this.  Enough to make it again sometime for sure.

I apologize for the lack of pictures.  You see, while the color of beets is really pretty, it stains EVERYTHING.  I wore rubber gloves to work with mine, and I didn't want to get my beet-y fingers on my camera.

Roast Beet Salad
Peel and chop your beets (I used 2 for my salad).  Toss with olive oil, honey, salt and pepper.  Roast at 425 degrees for about 25-30 minutes, until beets give slight resistance when pierced with a knife.  Let cool slightly.  While they are roasting, prepare a salad.  I used romaine, cucumber (for freshness and crunch), crumbled goat cheese, and an herb-y vinaigrette.  Top your salad with the roasted beets, and finish with a light drizzle of honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment