17 July 2011

Summertime Treats

With high temperatures topping out over 90 every day, I've been in the mood for frozen goodies.  And it doesn't help that every recipe resource I look at has tons of recipes for popsicles and ice creams and frozen yogurts (oh my!).  But I don't have an ice cream maker or popsicle molds.  So I've been wondering if I could take any recipe for a frozen treat (popsicle, frozen yogurt, ice cream) and make it in a different format, as a popsicle or granita.  It would give me a lot more flexibility

So I took 2 recipes, one for a popsicle and one for frozen yogurt, and made granitas out of them.  I would say that, overall, the experiment was a success.  One recipe was chunky, and it didn't do well as a granita (which is sorta what I expected), but it froze into a nice texture being stirred occasionally.  The other worked out very well as a granita.  Both would work great as popsicles.

What I learned from all of this is that I could take any recipe for a frozen treat and make in a format other than what was suggested in the recipe.



I apologize for the lack of pictures, but someone borrowed my camera and the camera on my cell phone isn't working.  But believe me, both are delicious!

Coconut Cherry Frozen Yogurt (or popsicles)
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
2 c greek yogurt
2/3 c unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c coconut flakes
1/2 t vanilla
1 c chopped cherries

Mix together the yogurt, coconut milk, and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.  Add the vanilla, coconut, and cherries and stir until combined.

If making ice cream, freeze according to manufacturers directions.  Go ahead and put the chunks in at the beginning of the freezing cycle, as the beaters will crush the cherries and help to spread the cherry flavor more evenly through the yogurt.  If making popsicles, pour the mix into your molds and freeze according to manufacturers instructions.  I wouldn't recommend making a granita with this recipe, just because the chunks of cherries and coconut made it difficult to process as a granita.


Caramel Corn Granita (or ice cream or popsicles)
adapted from Rachael Ray
1 1/2 c corn kernels
3/4 c heavy cream
3/4 c milk
1/2 c sugar
20 soft caramel candies, or caramel sauce

Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let sit 30 minutes. Using a blender, puree mixture until smooth.  If you would like a smooth final product, strain the mixture.

If making ice cream, pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.  In the last minute of freezing, drizzle in caramel sauce.  You'll have a caramel swirl running through your ice cream.  If making a granita, pour the mix into a shallow container, place in the freezer, and scrape with a fork every hour or so.  You'll end up with a frozen dessert with a snowy texture.  Top with caramel sauce when you serve it.  If making popsicles, divide the mixture between 10 popsicle molds.  Let freeze about an hour and a half.  While they are freezing, press 2 caramel candies onto each popsicle sticks (microwaving them for a few seconds will help).  Then insert the sticks in the partially frozen mixture and let freeze completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment