01 May 2011

Apology + Tidbit


Sorry I fell off the face of the earth for the last month!  As many of you know, I have a new four-legged addition to my family, and she has demanded a whole lot of my time the last few weeks.  It is also the end of the semester, so I've been busy with my course work.


But I thought that if anyone is still checking this regularly (can't blame you if not... its been a little boring for a while), I'll throw up a simple recipe to keep you checking back.  No pictures or anything, since I didn't think about this until after I already ate dinner.  I had marinated grilled chicken breast, with a simple pasta salad.  Its simple and healthy, both of which have been meal goals of mine lately.  Simple because Callie doesn't allow me much cooking time, and I think the healthy part is obvious.



I'm also including the recipe for a dessert I eat a lot of nights.  I'll try to come back and add a picture later this week.


Pesto Grilled Chicken
Serves 1-2 (I make the recipe and put half of it away for lunch the next day)
1 chicken breast (most I get run 6-8 oz)
3 T pesto
2 T red wine vinegar
2 oz orzo
1 c chopped tomatoes

Stir together 2 T pesto and red wine vinegar.  Marinate chicken breast for 30 minutes to an hour.  Grill until cooked through (about 10 minutes).  Let rest while you put together the rest of the meal.

When you turn on the grill, put a pot of water on the stove to boil.  Cook orzo until al dente (about 10 minutes).  Stir together cooked orzo, tomatoes, and remaining 1T pesto.

Serve chicken over pasta, with a simple salad along side.  I also like to throw in a glass of wine!


Grilled Pineapple Sundae
Serves 1
2-3 pineapple spears or rings, or 1 c pineapple chunks
1 t cinnamon
1/4 c ice cream (I use coconut sorbet), frozen yogurt, or whipped cream
1 T pecans
1 T coconut

Sprinkle cinnamon over pineapple.  Let sit while grill heats up.  Grill pineapple 1-2 minutes per side, until pineapple is warmed through and you have good grill marks on all sides.  If using rings or spears, I like to cut my grilled pineapple into bite-sized pieces.  Top warm grilled pineapple with ice cream (or frozen yogurt or whipped cream), nuts, and coconut.

If anyone here follows weight watchers, dinner (1/2 chicken breast, 1/2 pasta salad, plus a big side salad with dressing) weighs in at 9 points, and wine adds another 4.  This dessert is 4 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment