19 October 2011

Apple Sauce


This past week in my CSA, I got a ton of great fall produce, including 2 bags of apples.  I found a great applesauce recipe on smitten kitchen baby (don't laugh, it is delicious) and was excited to have so many apples sitting around to make this applesauce.  This will only save in the fridge for a week or two, but you can freeze it in ice trays or in small tupperware containers so you only have to defrost a small amount at a time.


There is not much more I can say about this applesauce.  It is so much better than the sore bought stuff, it is sugar free so it is very healthy.  Basically we have apple puree with a couple other flavorings added.  


Go make this applesauce today.  Because as delicious as this applesauce is, in a few days I'll post a recipe that uses this applesauce and is even more delicious.


Applesauce
4 lbs apples
4 strips of lemon peel
1 cup water
1 cinnamon stick

Peel apples and chop into large chunks.  Toss into a stock pot with water, cinnamon stick, and lemon peel.  Bring to a boil and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples are very soft.  Let cool slightly, then pull out cinnamon stick and lemon peel.  Puree apples until as smooth as you like, I went very smooth since thats how I like my applesauce.  But you can leave it chunkier if you would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment